SATURDAY CHILDBIRTH PREPARATION CLASS
We recommend this class for all our first-time parents and any that are having thier first birth out of the hospital or would like to refresh thier knowledge.
The childbirth preparation class will be taught by Kate Parks, Certified Direct-entry Midwife, or another childbirth educator in her absence. Information will be presented covering the following topics:
- Late pregnancy physiology; discomforts, comfort measures, and recommended diet, herbal supplements and activities to encourage a timely labor. Discussion of support people, doulas.
- Post-dates routine – encouraging labor naturally, when to consult with a doctor, risks, and transfer to hospital.
- Pre-labor – what it is, what to expect, coping & comfort measures, support.
- Early Labor – Coping/comfort measures & support, when to call the midwife or doctor.
- Active Labor – description, coping, labor support & encouragement, comfort measures, when to call/come in, positions, eating & drinking.
- Transition – description, coping, support, what to expect.
- Second Stage of Labor (Pushing) – what to expect, coping, support, emotional changes & needs, positions/places for pushing.
- Birth! – positions for birth, interventions, what to expect, how to maximize the experience.
- Immediate Postpartum – baby’s needs & well-being, mom’s comfort & emotions, how long will she stay at birth center / hospital, what to expect.
- Breastfeeding – getting started, latch-on, difficulties, discomforts, supplementing with water or formula, breastfeeding support, consultants, how to know if baby is getting enough?
- Postpartum – comforts, activity level, caring for baby, bleeding, intimacy after baby, getting enough rest, support/help from others, postpartum visits.
- Hospital transports & transfer of care – complications and what to expect if transport is required.
- Baby Care – what’s normal/what’s not, recognizing signs of illness, encouraging development, things to consider: Vitamin K, eye ointment, Hep B, immunizations, skin care & personal care products, diapers, encouraging natural sleeping patterns.
This class is an instructor-led group with emphasis on discussion and interaction. We will cover all areas from late pregnancy through labor, birth, and the postpartum period. These areas will be covered chronologically and will include discussion of what to expect emotionally as well as physiologically. We will include coping techniques and comfort measures for mom and her support people. If time allows, we will show one or more birth videos and discuss them. These videos show natural childbirth and therefore involve nudity. Please let the instructor know if you are not comfortable viewing these videos. Please make other arrangements for children so you may give your full attention to the class. The class fee is $50.00 for the pregnant woman and one support person. If you have more than one support person who would like to come, please notify the instructor as seating is limited. Refunds will only be given if you are unable to come to the class for medical reasons (e.g. the baby comes before the class).